Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Now I know

I remember working at Lightning Media, when it was still on Highland and Romain ave, and being told "Everybody know your business" by a co-worker. I remember hating this and being hurt and deciding not to tell anyone at work about my life again.

Now, a little story:

I remember working at that same place, and a co-worker bringing in pumpkin bars his wife made the night before. A restless night before he confided in some, as she had restless leg syndrome. When this was mentioned to one of the ladies that sat next to me in the little room at the end of the hall that was the billing department, she asked if this affliction started after she gave birth. He said no, she had never given birth. Didn't they have children the woman asked. Yes, four was the reply. But, then how? The woman asked. They are adopted, came the reply. Oh, wow, said the woman. Isn't one of them much older the woman asked. Would you like to go out to dinner? The male co-worker asked. Or, have drinks? You and I and our spouses can get together and you can ask whatever you like about my life and my kids, but till then, we are at work. Can we take care of work stuff please?

I understand that he perhaps originally invited the quierie, but I like that when unprepared to deal with so many more questions, he shut down the conversation. I like that he took control that way. I understand why now.

I'm always over here having to explain everything to everyone and why I feel that way about this or this way about that.

Fuck that shit. DONE.

No comments: